Pace University
16th Floor
New York, NY 10038
Contact Us
The Basics
Eligibility & Admissions
Application Deadlines
Advising Appointments
Application Instructions
Costs and Payment
Apply for Study Abroad
7 Steps to Study Abroad
International Scholarships
Participating Students
Disciplinary Actions
Faculty Contacts
LGBT Abroad
Travel Resources
Student Gallery
Academic Year: March 15
Fall: March 15
Summer: April 1
Spring: September 15
January Term: October 1
Program Search
Program Type:
Program Country:
Program Term:

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is eligible to study abroad?

Pace students who maintain a 2.7 QPA are generally eligible for study abroad. Some programs require a higher QPA or junior academic status. Freshman or transfer students cannot attend a semester abroad until a full year is completed here at Pace University, however first year students can attend a summer session abroad.
Back to top

What is the best time to study abroad?

Students must spend at least one year at Pace before studying abroad. The best time to study abroad for a student pursuing a Bachelor's degree are the sophomore and junior years. It is possible to study abroad in the senior year as well. Graduate students will generally study abroad on short-term programs.
Back to top

How long can I study abroad?

Pace students may study abroad for an academic year, a semester, a summer or winter session, or on a short-term program over spring break, for example. The requirements of your Pace degree program should be taken into consideration when trying to decide what will work best for you.
Back to top

What courses can I take abroad and how many?

You should take courses required by your Pace degree program if you do not want to fall behind your education schedule. You must obtain pre-approval from the Academic Deans and Department Chairpersons for taking courses abroad. Courses taken without approval may not be applied to your Pace degree. If you begin your study abroad planning early, you will likely have more flexibility in choosing your courses while overseas. Please use the Course Approval Form when obtaining approvals.

You may carry a course load of up to 18 credits per semester, although it is advised that you do fewer than 15 credits in order to leave some free time for experiencing the culture.
Back to top

What happens to my study abroad credits and Pace QPA?

Credits earned overseas will be applied to your Pace degree, provided you have obtained the proper pre-approvals. However, you must earn grades of C or better in order for your study abroad credits to transfer to Pace. Courses with C- grades and below are not acceptable. Study abroad grades for non-Pace courses are not calculated into your Pace QPA.
Back to top

What is the cost?

The cost of study abroad programs varies, depending on the cost of living and money exchange rates in various countries. Generally speaking, programs in developing countries are much less expensive than those in developed countries. Tuition and program fees, housing and meals, international and local transportation, travel and excursions, cultural activities, supplies and personal expenses are all aspects of the cost of study abroad. Frequently, the total cost is less than comparable costs at private institutions in the United States.
Back to top

What financial aid can I use for study abroad?

Program costs and financial aid methods vary by program.  You may be able to apply your federal financial or Pace instititutional grants or scholarships depending on the program you choose.
Back to top

What study abroad scholarships or financial aid are available?

Some programs offer scholarships for academically outstanding students who participate in their programs. There are private foundations and organizations which provide aid to study abroad students, but you need to do some research to find them. It is suggested that you plan your study abroad sojourn early, since the scholarship application process takes time. Check out our Scholarships page for more information.
Back to top

What do I need to do to if I decide not to study abroad after I have been accepted?

The Study Abroad Office, and program provider (if applicable) must be notified in writing, of your decision to withdraw from a program as soon as possible. Students are responsible for reading and understanding the cancellation/withdrawal policies and deadlines of the program they are withdrawing from. If a student does not follow cancellation/withdrawal deadlines, they risk losing any program fees, housing fees, and possible partial/full tuition for the term.
Back to top

Pace University Education Abroad