Pace University
16th Floor
New York, NY 10038
Contact Us
The Basics
Eligibility & Admissions
Application Deadlines
Advising Appointments
Application Instructions
Costs and Payment
Apply for Study Abroad
7 Steps to Study Abroad
International Scholarships
Participating Students
Disciplinary Actions
Faculty Contacts
LGBT Abroad
Travel Resources
Student Gallery
Academic Year: March 15
Fall: March 15
Summer: April 1
Spring: September 15
January Term: October 1
Program Search
Program Type:
Program Country:
Program Term:

Pre-Departure Guide

Pre-Departure Checklist

Check on your eligibility for scholarships and fellowships.
CLICK HERE for more information about Scholarships and Grants
Apply for a passport if you don't already have one.
If you do already have a passport, double check your expiration date. Your passport must not expire within six months of the "end" of your program. If you need to "renew" your passport, do so now.
CLICK HERE for more information about U.S. Passports
Apply for a student entry visa if your Host Country requires it.
Speak to your Program Provider or Host University to confirm if you need an entry visa for your Host Country.
CLICK HERE to review your Host Country embassy website for entry requirements.

Complete your Course Approval Form.
 You can typically find course descriptions from your Program or Host University website. Use the Faculty Contacts page to connect to your Academic Chairpersons for course approvals.

Confirm that you have international health insurance coverage.
Many health insurance companies in the USA do NOT cover medical expenses while you are traveling outside the USA. Thus, it is crucial to confirm if your current health insurance will cover your needs while living abroad, OR find a supplemental insurance policy that will cover international medical services.

Learn more about health and safety in your Host Country.
CLICK HERE for U.S. State Department Information Sheets
CLICK HERE for Centers for Disease Control recommendations
Learn more about the history, culture and current events in your Host Country.
CLICK HERE for Country Information from the CIA World Factbook
CLICK HERE for Newspapers
CLICK HERE for Country Profiles from BBC
CLICK HERE for Country Studies from the Library of Congress

Register your travel plans with the U.S. State Department.
In case of an emergency (medical, legal, civil unrest, natural disaster, etc.) the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your Host Country can provide some emergency services to U.S. travelers.
CLICK HERE for Smart Travel Registration

Be sure to carry the following items with you when you travel.
- Passport
- At least $100 cash
- Visa credit or debit card
- Emergency contact information
- Contact information for on-site Program Coordinator

Pace University Education Abroad